Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rose Garden Recovery?

I was hoping I could get things together and end the Rose Garden Apocalypse.  Maybe write a new poem about how I have cleaned up and the rose garden and the rose garden is flourishing!  It has not happened and I have really just settled in and started cleaning out the weeds and vines from the garden this week. In the years that I managed to keep up with the garden the next year's blooms have been so much better. There are many factors that have hurt me this year and every year.  Here are the 3 largest problems I have faced.

1.  Where are the Roses?

My garden is comprised of mostly old roses that only bloom 1 time per year.  These roses are 30+ years old.  They have been removed and transplanted a few times.  You can read some about there history here, Rose Garden History.  I really need to start adding some roses that bloom year round around the outside of the garden.  I used to psych myself  up by pumping up this image of big lush green rose bushes blowing in the wind at the end of the summer.  I really have not gotten that far for a few years.  Just a big pile of vines hanging on the roses, sometimes giving this illusion.

2.  City Rats!  Yeah that's right, I said Rats!

Nothing says stay away from the garden like a bunch of big rats running in and out.  Adding the bird feeders has turned into a bad idea.  Looks like I will need to discontinue feeding the birds in this location.  For 20 years of working in my rose garden I never saw 1 rat.  Then in 2007 the Dunkin Donuts near my home burned down!  You can see a picture of burned down dunkin donuts.

Dunkin's Donuts Belair Road Fire

You see the back of that car on the right of the picture?  That's my car, the same one on the blog title photo.  The fire department actually tied yellow tape to my car and across the street.  The next day in the rose garden were 10+ dead rats and the neighborhood has not been the same since.  Used to only see rats around dumpsters.  Where I used to see rabbits or chipmunks, I see rats.  They run around like stray cats and hop through the grass like rabbits.  I hate to do it, but there is so many we have to constantly poison and place traps.  I just need to get over it.  Not getting in the garden and working only makes it worse.

3.  Time and Lazy  

In the old days I would come home from school and collage classes in the afternoon and head right to the garden.  Later I would still do this after work and listen to the O's on the radio. The O's is for Orioles!  Even with the rats I found more time for the garden up until this year.  It might have something to do with the O's actually playing good this season.  I have been more likely to head in and catch the game.  Other factor is that I have been working longer and when I do rush home early its not to work in the rose garden, normally some unwanted BS.  All happens so fast! After the bulk of my garden has it's 1 and only bloom, I have holidays, vacations, vegetable gardens, and other things going on.  I go from my birthday to the 4th to trip number 1 to ocean city to trip number 2 to ocean city and then it all seems over that fast and where did the time go?  Really if I love the garden and want to put in the work, I need to find the time!  Need to get it together!

The Recovery Coming?

I just got started today.  Wish I would have dragged my ass out of bed early because my work got stopped by some serious ran weather.  Vines had gotten a hold of the old white roses in the corner of the garden.  This particular bush blooms all year long, but have not seen much.  Last week I cleared the vines and was rewarded with the bush beginning to bloom again.  This gave me hope that I can give them one last boost before the fall.  Over the next week I plan on clearing things up and ending the Rose Garden Apocalypse.   Maybe there is another poem here somewhere?  I really like the first one, but not what inspired it!


The roses are very old.
How long will they Hold?
New zombie rose buds scattered red.
Why does the little Sparrow Lay dead?
Fresh dug holes are home to new pest.
Has the catbird left it's nest?
Angels, Saints, Mary, and Jesus uncovered.
Why do so many insects hover?
Dead rose blooms wither.
Where do the snakes slither?
Disease hampers revitalization.
Will there be new fertilization?
Weeds grow like crazy.
How can the gardener be so Lazy!
Transit of Venus observed like an eclipse.
Rose garden Apocalypse?

-Charles Reinhardt




No comments:

Post a Comment